Sunday, January 15, 2017

Shall we go?

he had piranha teeth
behind his muted lips
and graying mustache
he wore so trimmed and groomed
I think he spent more
time and coinage
on that particular feature
than any one other in his presence
yet here we sat feasting
at my own humble table
upon bacteria and fungi
and rancid juice that tasted quite well
he was no one visitor
anybody every really
wanted to have in the place
he was at at my own very humble table
yet awkwardly we sat
silently chewing and
spying at the other
while we awkwardly sat silently chewing
I grimaced at the thought
he might do something else
besides sitting there and
mimicking his host at this teetering meal
constantly it ate at my soul
when he would stop or
when he would begin or
when he would suddenly catch my eye in glance
alas I would lose my chance
and fetch my hat and coat
and hold the door for my guest
as he would lead me out into the dark unknown
but his spies were fleeting
as I kept my view mostly down
to avoid that momentary snare
of his stare into the emptiness I had prepared
I asked him indirectly
and politely as I could have
if he had had his fill, that is
if he needed maybe a morsel or goblet more
I fixed my gaze to his
left hand that so firmly
grasped the silver fork
as I felt his heavy eyes peering upon my person
the weight shook my body
and sweat soaked my shirt
the burden I could bear no longer
and looked up and heard him ask, "Shall we go?"








No comments: