Saturday, December 2, 2023

Dear Michael,

your birthday was so close 

to my favorite holiday

and you decided to leave all of this

so close to my birthday

that would have been 

a really shitty present

if you had intended it

but I know I wasn't even close

to being on your mind, then

I wish I had known 

what had been on your mind, then

not sure if I could have made you stay

not sure if I could have offered

something that would have 

changed your mind

and what a fucked up place

to leave from

I mean Omaha of all cities

but I guess that wouldn't have

mattered much, then

I know not a lot 

mattered much, then

except for the pain

the inescapable emptiness

of course I'm just guessing

but just in case you can hear

what I'm telling you now

just in case by some chance

these words get to you

I know the world misses you

and that it's not better without you

even if you thought that, then

and if nothing else

I would have wanted to call

you friend



No comments: