Friday, August 18, 2017

Siding with sunflowers

from my car I watched a woman
walk her dog this morning
through an overgrown field
and she came to the edge
purposefully like a bee
driven to the towering sunflower.
her dog wanted to venture further
and tugged at the leash
but she tarried at the giant.
on the radio played
some disturbing composition
from the early 20th century
so apropos for the botanical
Hitchcock horror playing out
in front of my eyes.
the woman grabbed the giant
by the throat and bent one
of the slender arms down
to the level of her wicked eyes.
she then started to tug at the branch
to pluck the flower from its stem
and struggled in keeping her dog
from bounding fourth while
she sought her floral plunder.
using a key as a makeshift blade
she tore through the stem.
I thought to myself how she
would like it if someone was to
bend her over and saw off her
genitalia with a makeshift blade.
after severing the flower
she sauntered back through
the overgrown field with her mutt.
"I hope it's full of ants!"
I muttered through gritted teeth.



No comments: